Thursday, December 17, 2015

Art Shows and Lectures

Sound Art

            I attended the Sound Art exhibition as well as the panel that was held before the opening reception, and generally I had a lot of feelings about it. I like to consider myself a video and sound artist, and most of tis curiosity with sound and image stemmed from having Clint Sleeper as an instructor for a couple semesters. I was pushed to explore the idea of sound as an art, aside from music. This was really interesting to me. Thus, I was really excited to attend the panel and show just so I could listen to everyone’s ideas and thoughts about sound art.
            My first impression of the artists on the panel made me excited because a lot of my music professors were on the panel as well, and having a musical background, it was cool noticing that they are coming together. However, when Thom Judson started speaking, I really had a hard time keeping interested, because it seemed as though all he had to say were things that were against what all of the other professors had to say. He was the upcoming artist that was invited to collaborate with them, and all of his words were incredibly immature and unintellectual. I know that he has an educational background, but it seemed to undermine everything that everyone was saying. He mentioned that “everything is about time,” and that all art of the future will be based around time. But I would be baffled to find a number of pieces that aren’t already about time. There is a time element to everything, and I feel as though that statement was empty. He also said that “silence no longer exists,” as the other professors of the panel were discussing the power of silence. When creating music, having pauses can create an incredibly emotional experience. Him saying that undermined those words, and I suppose I understand that there are always noises around us, but there is still silence, and power within it.
            In any case, I also attended the show, and was kind of underwhelmed from the work that was there. I was really enamored by Bob Morrison and Paul’s piece with the bowls, because it surrounded the entire room and encapsulated the viewer. It was really romantic, and very much about time(ironically). Clint Sleeper’s piece was also very topical and local. The media he chose was interesting, because the dirt that was used was local dirt, making me think about the sound and art scene around me – or lack there of. It was also masked by the other pieces and the people that were in the exhibition, which made it difficult to take in as well. It’s also hard to view someone’s piece when you know their personality. Clint, being a very sarcastic and satirical person made this piece even more believable. Judson’s piece in the back was very dissatisfying to me only because I had such a bad taste in my mouth leaving the panel. Though, the triptych could have been interesting, I just feel as though the nature and river scene has been overdone, and it seemed like a 3-D screensaver.
            Overall I was kind of sad from the panel, only because of Thom Judson. The others on the panel were very passionate about what they spoke about, and that made their words very enjoyable. I wish I had gone and spent more time in the exhibition after the opening reception, because I’m sure there were many other things that I was not considering since my head was not quite in the right place.

Egypt and Nefertiti Lecture

         Attending this lecture was really fascinating for me, because I never really retained much information about Egypt whenever I learned, and seeing that there are still so many things to be discovered and that we live in an age that we are simultaneously discovering history while creating history is amazing and reminds me that there is so much more in the world to know.
            It’s really interesting to me that Nefertiti could be behind this wall that so many people have looked at and walked by, and nobody has really had an inclination to ask what could be behind the wall. I’m really interested in finding out if she is behind the wall, because if so, that will lead to many other discoveries and researching. I am really inspired by the people who work on these things, because they are so passionate about what they are doing and uncovering history. I know that much of Egypt’s history is fuzzy and blurry, like a lot of history, but having the evidence of these civilizations is really important.
            I am really fascinated with Omm Sety, the woman that you ended with. Not only because many of her predictions came to fruition, but because she believed that she was the reincarnation of a priestess at the Temple of Sety. I did a little bit of research on her, and I am really glad to know that she still stuck around the community who were researching Egypt, and was incredibly intelligent. I read that she supplemented her income by selling needlework as well. Knowing that she did these very domestic things on top of all explaining the symbolism of a lot of Egyptian works is really interesting. I feel as though many people would disregard things that people say about reincarnation, especially to this degree, but she was well-known and listened to, and had a lot of educational responses to things. She is an inspiration, and I’m very glad to have heard of her thanks to this lecture. I am really happy to have attended. Thank you for the opportunity. I hope to learn much more about this subject matter, and I believe that I will be keeping tabs on what is going on in the tombs, because it is very exciting.
            Another thing I’ve been thinking about beyond this is that what we are discovering is not just art, but history. These beautiful pieces of art also offer a lot of history; furthermore, it takes someone with an extensive education to deduce thoughts and ideas from these works of art that could lead to historical discoveries. And there are probably so many things that we have yet to find that are works of art as well as brilliant, historical artifacts.

MFA Exhibition
            I did a really awful job at documenting the artist’s names and the names of the works, but I took quite a bit of time looking at their works and thinking about their strengths and what they are trying to achieve, and it was really interesting to me doing this, because as someone who wants to obtain a possible MFA, it was important for me to look at these artists and how they display and speak about their work. I did not really get the chance to speak to the artists, but something has to be said to how something is displayed and shown to the public.

            This was biggest for me with the book artist. I really do not remember her name, nor did I write it down; however, she created a beautiful book, and hundreds of cutouts that spread across the floor. This reminded me a lot of Felix Gonzalez Torres’ art piece “Untitled” with a large pile of candy in the middle of the floor. Only because over time, it was destined that people were to take from this pile, and it was an interaction with the gallery space as well as the people themselves. Her piece definitely did the same thing. She had these hanging scrolls that we had to navigate through in order to get to the book, which created an interactive piece. We also stepped on all of these cutouts that look like they took quite a long time and effort to make. This interaction with the are was almost uncomfortable, because we are taught not to get very close to works of art but here we were offered and asked to get as close as we can, by stepping on parts of the piece. The colors of this piece were also gorgeous, and they really created a serene environment to be in. I know what it is like to create these books and the amount of effort it takes to set each letter of a book, and there is something so romantic about touching each letter of a book, or a scroll, or what have you, then putting it up for people to say. I suppose it’s no different with other works, in that the artist has a hand in every detail, but touching every letter is horribly romantic. I was definitely enamored by this piece as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment